(Mondays from 5:00 to 5:45 pm)
An important element of the PHP/IOP experience and part of the intake process is the Multi-Family Group. All parents are urged to participate in this group within the first week of their child’s membership.
This group has three main objectives:
1. You will be introduced to Wholeistic Education® (WED®), the proprietary, educational / therapeutic model of DBHA’s Program Director, Joe Walsh, LCMHC. It will help maximize the effectiveness of your child’s time in our Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) or Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) by offering the opportunity to integrate our approach more fully in your home.
2. It will provide insight into your child’s experience in the Direction Program. (Keep in mind that the confidentiality of all groups is strictly maintained.)
3. It will utilize the power of the group experience to provide you with some personal support, just as it does for your child.
Because we feel that this service is of such value to our client families, we are organizing it in several specific ways. First, the group meets on Mondays (the day most useful for “weekend processing” and “school-week preparation”). It meets from 5:00 – 5:45 PM to coordinate with parents’ pick-up of their children. It operates with a fluid, open membership, like the PHP/IOP, allowing parents to choose their level of participation from week to week. Parents are encouraged to come to as many introductory Multi-Family Groups as they feel is helpful. No fee required.
* An introductory pamphlet entitled Positive Family Culture: An Introduction to Wholeistic Education is provided to all new client families. Please pick one up during intake. It will help make the most of your participation in the Multi-Family Group.
* We highly recommend viewing the three-part Parenting Video on our website. The video and the booklet: Positive Family Culture An Introduction to Wholeistic Education may serve as an alternative to the Multi-Family Group for those who cannot attend.
(Wednesdays from 5:00 to 5:45 pm)
For those parents wanting to delve more deeply into Wholeistic Education, receive more specific coaching on its integration in their home, or to simply benefit from additional moral support, we offer the Parenting Group. This group meets every Wednesday evening (in the middle of the stressful work/school-week) from 5:00 – 5:45 PM to coordinate with parents’ pick-up of their children. It operates with a fluid, open membership like the PHP/IOP, allowing parents to choose their level of participation from week to week. There is no cost for this service.